I woke up to a flat tire, of course on a day that I had a million and one things to do. I had to move around appointments and call people to try to set a schedule that would work. Then abruptly as if on cue something comes up and more things I need to handle! I guess the feeling I have is "OVERWHELMED!" Right away my brain goes back to its older habits of wanting to cry and eat sugary fatty foods to make me feel good, then I tell myself, NO! that isn't going to lead anywhere but just a messy make up, unnecessary excess weight and puffy eyes. So then the question was,
What To Do When I am Having An Off Day?
- Write Down a List of Problems on one Side of a Piece of Paper
- Write Down possible Solutions to those problems
- Make a priority list of what is most important to least important
- Find someone who is a positive support system to talk to and vent all your frustrations and feelings to begin gathering more positive thoughts and strategies.
- Tell yourself some positive things you can learn from all the problems and make a list of the positive things that are presently happening and are grateful for.
So, I did just that:
- I wrote down my list of present problems and the possible solutions to each one.
- I made a priority list of what was most important to least
- I found someone who was a positive support system, one who would not criticize but basically just hear me out on my feelings and offered a shoulder to vent on then gave me some positive words of encouragement.
- I told myself some positive things of what I learned with the overwhelming problems that came my way that day and things that I was grateful for.
Life is Hard for everyone no matter what, but I guess using these strategies when life hits you a curveball, well it just makes it easier for me to hit that ball out for a homerun.
What other strategies have you used to help on OFF DAYS!! I would love to hear from you on what
works for you!
Anita Sandoval MA, LPC-S
Email: email@example.com or www.pacc-tx.com
Facebook: Positive Awakenings Counseling Center