Friday, January 8, 2016

Feeling Stuck? What To Do About It!


Hi, my name is Anita Sandoval MA, LPC-S and I am a Licensed Professional Counselor.

My belief is to help those with less privileged and unhealthy backgrounds, remove some obstacles for them so that, then, they too will have an opportunity to be more productive and lift themselves up to achieve their greatest potential and live life successfully. 

Today's Topic is about Feeling Stuck and What you can do about it?

There has been times that I feel that no matter what I do, I just don't feel like I am moving forward. Feeling Stuck is where a person feels that no matter what they do or have a goal in mind and just don't know what to do to get that goal. Yesterday, I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts and was listening to an interview with a CEO in a very established business, and I recall him stating on how in order to accomplish goals, you don't do the goal you be the goals. Basically you become the goals. 

With the New Years here and Resolutions in place, I have to remember the goals I have in place this year and reflect back the goals I have had in the previous years. As with most people, I begin with great motivation and then after several weeks it starts to wind down. That is where I noticed that the goals I wanted this year are the same as the years before. 

That is where I began feeling stuck. I would tell myself, "Enough!" "You will! Make a Change this year!" Therefore, I began to tell myself I have to become my goals. Then I began to brainstorm and tell myself ok, I am stuck because I keep falling back into the same unproductive routine and need to create new habits that encompass my goals. "But How?" Feelings of frustration, uncertainty, and nervousness are what I feel when I am stuck" 


Then while watching Elmo in Grouchland with my toddler, I began to listen to a specific song that was playing and it just clicked. Who knew Sesame Street could actually have concepts that would help an individual.

Anyways, while watching the movie with my little one I was listening to the words of the song which happened to be that Elmo was was discouraged that he had to find his blanket and felt like it was such a long way and was not positive. Alongside was a bush and stated that he was stuck on the ground while Elmo had two good feet and could move forward. The song had words along the line of if you feel stuck be glad you don't have your feet stuck on the ground and look up in the sky and take your first step and kiss those fears goodbye.  


I really liked that with the New Years in order to make a difference this year than the last I needed to make the first step of difference, a change and keep at it step by step and before you know it I will make it to the end of the goal. I guess that is why I enjoy running and doing runs. I always say slow and steady wins the race and with each step forward takes me closer to the finish line.  

So, with anything in life, whether, it is a diet, better at a hobby, or just be a better person. The difference is to take the steps to move forward and the more you do the more you get. 

Have you ever felt stuck with something you have done? 
What has worked for you to get out of that rut?


  

Email:
brokenchains@pacc-tx.com or on this website contact info as well
Facebook:
Positive Awakenings Counseling Center
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pacctx
Broken Chains Blog:
http://positiveawakenings.blogspot.com/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment