Tuesday, April 5, 2016

To Be Wise or To Be Smart?

To Be Wise or To Be Smart?



I often wondered what the difference was in reference to being smart and being wise. I mean isn't it the same thing. Well this is what I found: 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wisdom
Simple Definition of wisdom
  • : knowledge that is gained by having many experiences in life
  • : the natural ability to understand things that most other people cannot understand
  • : knowledge of what is proper or reasonable : good sense or judgment

Simple Definition of education

·       : the action or process of teaching someone especially in a school, college, or university
·       : the knowledge, skill, and understanding that you get from attending a school, college, or university
·       : a field of study that deals with the methods and problems of teaching
Simple Definition of ignorance
  • : a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education : the state of being ignorant
 

     
     So a wise person knows what to do in most situations, while a smart person knows what to do in situations where few others could.

I often wondered on how it was possible that some people who strived to attain so much education could simply be oblivious with the fact that they still lack the wisdom to just “GET IT!”

When I mean the word “Get It” I refer to simple concepts of life situations and on how to solve them. Some people can refer to it as common sense. I hear many friends tell me, “after all it’s common sense.” But the question then lies, Is it? Is it just common sense or is it something deeper such as wisdom.

         I then reflect on past relationships/connections I have had with people in the past. Some that were so smart, some would say a “know it all” and yet I never saw them as smart. I often noticed something lacking. That’s when I realized that the “common sense” is something I guess I would call Wisdom.

         To have some success a person needs to have a wholesome sense of wisdom together with education.

         After researching the concepts of wisdom, I came to realize that it is the life’s experiences that help enable a person’s wisdom. Therefore, when life hands out problems and the manner in which the person handles them will help them become more strengthened in the concept of being wiser. Some strategies I have used to help with this is to consult with people who have the education and the wisdom to guide me with my own personal issues.

         Many wise people in the past have also consulted with wise counsel themselves to help with overcoming issues. Such as King Arthur of Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table.


The point I wanted to make after finding out the difference is, someone with more education makes them knowledgeable just in that specific subject, which in turn doesn’t necessarily make them wise.   


What do you think?

  

Email: anita@pacc-tx.com

Website: www.pacc-tx.com
Online Counseling: www.positiveawakeningsonline.com
Facebook:
Positive Awakenings Counseling Center
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pacctx

 



No comments:

Post a Comment